Pages

3 April 2012

Warp Speed

Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the sewing last


(with apologies to Simon & Garfunkel)

With a much-needed afternoon off work on Friday, I decided to get the purple beast out and have a go at sewing a zip.

Using a tiny remnant of Sanderson upholstery fabric, I more or less followed this Guardian tutorial to make a little purse.

Changing the presser foot was very straightforward, and I decided on using hot pink thread so I could see what I was doing (it also makes a pleasing contrast with the fabric). I diligently ironed the fabric then ... rush rush rush I had to get it all done straight away no time to hem properly just hack at it with the pinking shears I need to get this done straight away zooooooooooom goes the sewing machine oh it's come unthreaded quick quick quick thread it again snip off those corners and its done.

Yes, somehow it all became a terrific rush: I wanted results RIGHT AWAY, and as it's a simple project it wasn't too bad, but could have been a lot better. I'm not quite sure why this was, apart from not being a very patient person, and it makes me quite concerned as to starting 'proper' projects.

I need to somehow relax and take each step one at a time, to make things with care rather than thinking 'that will do'. The odd thing was, that as I was tearing towards the finish line of the purse, I suddenly minded how it looked, that it turned out right.

Does anyone have any tips for calm, successful sewing?

On the up side, the next day I did make a Sorbetto muslin (albeit pinned rather than stiched). Yes, it's meant to be an easy beginner project, but inspired by Karen's OWOP triumph, I hope to make a few of them, and so wanted to get things right.

Swings and roundabouts, people. Swings and roundabouts.

In other news, I have at last turned the heel of the second Tiptoe sock.

No comments:

Post a Comment