I finished knitting Colour Affection last night ...
... and I'm a bit disappointed.
The pattern is charming - as the thousands of Ravelry projects attest - and the yarn (Debbie Bliss Rialto lace) is lovely, but it just didn't turn out how I expected it to.
I had imagined a large, lofty but warm wrap. Instead, I have a tight-edged scarflet curling over at the edges. I haven't blocked it yet, but it barely goes round my shoulders. Ok, they are broad, but I can fit through doors so they can't be over two metres around.
Looking over notes on Ravelry (yes, should have done that earlier), the general consensus is to drop in temporary yarn-overs at the start of rows to loosen them up a bit. Mine are very tight, so I should have done this. Also, keen to finish things off (as you will note from the very narrow border) I just did a regular cast-off, albeit with a 4.5mm needle and what I thought was a pretty loose hand. Not so. Tight as can be, though in my wisdom I decided to give the cast-off edge a bit of stretch. It ripped, which did make it looser, but is probably not an approved method. So I darned it in some kind of please-don't-unravel bodge. To go with the the other bodges elsewhere, which look like the knitted equivalent of keloid scarring.
I hung it up in the bathroom for a steam, which seemed to help a bit. I'm going to give it a proper blocking (or as proper a blocking as can be done without wires as I don't have them) to see if matters improve.
Wish me luck.